KNOX COUNTY INDIANA COMMISSIONERS
Commissioners serve a four (4) year term beginning January 1 after the election. All registered voters in the county vote for Commissioners. Anyone running for Commissioner must reside in the district in which they are running.
THE COMMISSIONERS HAVE JURISDICTION OVER MANY EXECUTIVE AND ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS INCLUDING:
- Auditing and authorizing claims against the county. (IC 36-2-6-2)
- Receiving bids and authorizing contracts.
- Controlling, maintaining, and supervising county property including courthouses, jails, and public offices. (IC 36-2-2-24)
- Supervising construction and maintenance of roads and bridges.
- Exercising appointive powers including both the selection of members to fill positions on boards, commissions, and committees, and appointment of certain department heads.
- Planning and implementing strategies for solid waste handling as members of solid waste district boards.
THE COMMISSIONERS MAY ADOPT ORDINANCES CONCERNING THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- To provide traffic control (IC 817-1-40)
- To regulate and control matters related to public health, water, air and land (IC13-1-1-4)
- To establish minimum housing standards (IC 36-7-8-4)
- To grant vacation pay, sick leave, paid holidays and other similar benefits to county employees (IC 5-10-6-11)
- To administer elections in conjunction with the county election board
- To incorporate new towns and alter township boundary lines, on petition.
The Commissioners only exercise their regulatory powers in the unincorporated areas of the county.
NOTICE OF MEETING OF
KNOX COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
Notice is given that the Knox County Board of Commissioners will conduct its regular meeting at 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday November 1, 2022 at Vincennes City Hall, 203 Vigo Street, Vincennes, Indiana for the purposes, among other things, of conducting all business permitted by law. The public is invited to attend.